Two easy, quick, and healthy recipes: Pumpkin Spice Muffins and Cauliflower Au Gratin
Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes
Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- These are excellent in place of Pumpkin Pie for watching your calorie intake. The muffins on average are about 47 calories compared to an average or 323 calories for a slice of Pumpkin Pie. The fat grams for the muffins are anywhere from 1 to 2 grams versus the average of 14 grams for the slice of Pumpkin Pie.
- Recipe for the Pumpkin Spice Muffins:
- 1 – 15 ounce can of Pumpkin
- 1 – serving of a Spice Cake Mix
- 1 cup of water
- Place cupcakes in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Another great substitute for regular potato au gratin of even regular full fat mashed potatoes. One cup of real mashed potatoes are approximately 237 calories and 9 grams of fat and this cauliflower au gratin casserole is about 75 calories and 3 grams of fat per serving.
- Recipe for the Cauliflower Au Gratin:
- 1 head of cauliflower (2 if small)
- ½ to 1 cup of water
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 3 TBS butter
- 1 to 2 cups of low fat cheddar (or flavor of your choice) cheese
- 1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (small dash)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steam the cauliflower for about 10 minutes in the water over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic in the butter and olive oil until caramelized. Place the cauliflower in a baking dish and mash with a potato masher until you have small pieces. Add the onion/garlic mixture and the cheese and top with the French fried onions (if using them) and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve with salt and pepper to taste.
Healthy Holiday Series:
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Planning Healthy Holidays
- RV Healthy has a board on RVNN’sPinterest
- Circle us onG+
- Give us a Thumbs up on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Watch RV Healthy on your Roku or Boxee!
- Visit Sylvia at RVHealthy.com!